A Glimmer of Hope Foundation
Systems Operations Manager
Glimmer was founded in 2000 to ease some pain and suffering on the planet. With an intentional focus on Ethiopia, we set out to end poverty and illuminate lives in the most remote, forgotten communities. Glimmer supports the essential life needs of stable income, education and good health. We take into account the entire ecosystem of rural Ethiopian communities and work in partnership with the people to strengthen existing systems. We envision prosperity and health for Ethiopian families so that they can be resilient to the inevitable challenges of rural life. For more information on our work, visit www.glimmer.org.
Glimmer is hiring a full-time manager on our Systems Operations Team at our headquarters in Austin, Texas. The ideal candidate has experience and a strong interest in monitoring, evaluation, research, and learning (MERL), data governance principles and data management. Working closely with the Systems Operations and Programs Teams, the position plays a key role in helping to shape, build and maintain the technology and systems used to assess Glimmer’s impact on the ground in Ethiopia.
The Systems Operations Manager is driven by the mission to help create and manage a cohesive, cloud-based MERL system that provides Glimmer’s stakeholders with access to necessary data, analysis and reporting. The position is critical to operationalizing Glimmer’s MERL framework, which will help drive strategic decision-making and take the organization to an entirely new level of measuring and evaluating the impact of our work.
- Work in close collaboration with the Director of Systems Operations to manage configuration, deployment and utilization of integrated technologies (Tableau, Snowflake, Matillion ETL) that support data collection, consolidation, visualization and analysis.
- Partner with the Senior Database Manager in Glimmer’s Addis Ababa office to:
- Define data requirements and processes for the creation of reports/dashboards that track organizational outputs, outcomes, impacts and sustainability over time.
- Help manage technical elements of MERL data, including monitoring and cleansing.
- Help oversee Glimmer’s field-based digital data collection software (CommCare).
- Work toward becoming Glimmer’s primary internal resource on the use of Tableau, including administration and design of the Tableau environment.
- Contribute to strategic planning for the structure and development of Glimmer’s technologies and systems.
- Manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders regarding Glimmer’s data collection, reporting, and analysis, as well as the infrastructure that supports these activities.
- Research, write and help implement policies and processes related to data governance and data management; develop and oversee data dictionaries/catalogs.
- Manage intern program for the Systems Operations team.
- Bachelor’s degree plus four to five years of work experience OR master’s degree plus two to three years of work experience required.
- Ability to effectively manage projects and people within and outside of the Systems Operations team. The ability to constantly prioritize, produce high-quality work and meet deadlines is necessary to be successful in this position.
- Demonstrated ability to distill and synthesize information and communicate clearly and concisely in both verbal and written form.
- Able to think strategically, conceptualize relationships between different systems, and understand abstract concepts.
- Skilled at being proactive, taking initiative and proposing solutions without being asked or directed.
- Able to work a flexible schedule, including 7 a.m. CT meetings with Glimmer team members located in Ethiopia 1-2 days/week.
- Multicultural communication skills or previous experience living/working in developing countries preferred; proficiency in a second language a plus.
- One or more of the following is required:
- Experience with Tableau or other data visualization software.
- Familiarity with databases/data warehouses.
- Experience with digital data collection software.
- Familiarity with data governance and data management principles.
- High degree of comfort with technology; excited about building technical skill set and learning new software and platforms with minimal direction and training.
- Some exposure to SQL, SPSS/STATA, APIs a plus but not required.
WHAT WE’RE OFFERING:
- Exposure to the people and places of Ethiopia, by being a part of the life-changing work that we do.
- A committed and dedicated team that works hard but also takes time to recharge.
- 4+ weeks of paid time off.
- Retirement plan matching up to 3% of your salary.
- Employer-sponsored health, dental, vision, disability and life insurance.
- Medical and Dependent Care FSA available.
- Voluntary benefit programs including holiday savings, identify theft protection, voluntary life insurance, hospital and critical illness insurance, and pet insurance.
- Access to an employer-sponsored Employee Assistance Program.
This is a full-time, salaried position based in our office in Austin, Texas, though it will be temporarily remote due to Covid-19. To apply, please submit a resume, a one-page cover letter that explains why this position is an ideal fit for your background and your salary requirements. No calls, please. Applicants who do not meet these requirements will not be considered.